Steve West started in radio in Hoquiam. In 1967, West joined the KJR, becoming the all night disc-jockey and newsman. West was then hired by KTAC as Program Director. KTAC climbed to the top rated position in Pierce county, replacing nine year leader, KJR. West hired some great talent for KTAC, including Gary Crow. Pat O’Day countered West’s success [or rather “recognized” West’s talent] by offering Steve West the position of Program Director at KJRB Spokane. West returned to KJR in 1974 as PD there.
August 26, 1979 / Steve West has traded AM for FM and moved from KJR to sister-station KISW as its new general manager. He was assistant manager of KJR for three months. At the FM station, he replaces Harry Caraco who is moving to other areas of business. West has been with KJR for five years as program director. Before that he was program director at another Kaye-Smith station, KJRB in Spokane.
Edie Hilliard, general sales manager at KJR, will take over the additional duties of assistant manager there. She joined the station in 1975 as an account executive and in 1977 was named sales manager. Ms. Hilliard began with Kaye-Smith Radio in 1972 as the corporate promotions manager.
1922 It was a big year for broadcasting in Washington. The first radio station in the State of Washington was not located in Seattle or Tacoma, but in Spokane. 590 KAQQ, later KHQ, now KQNT, [Feb 28].
Next was Vincent Kraft’s experimental station, which became KJR, the first radio station for Seattle and Western Washington [Mar 9].
South Sound residents got their own station on March 30, as KGY 1240 began broadcasting. Those original call letters were used by the station until the Kerry family sold the station in 2014 to Sacred Heart Radio.
Tacoma’s KMO 1360 took to the airwaves on March 30. The station dropped those great call letters in 1984, for KAMT. The station later went with the call letters KKMO.
KTW 1250 Seattle started programming on April 22. The station is now KKDZ.
Finally, another station for Seattle on May 23, 1300 KDZE, which later became KOL. The station became KMPS in 1975, and was acquired by Salem in 1997, changing call letters to KKOL [not quite KOL].
This is Clif Kirk, the first anchorman for Eyewitness News, recording a promo for KIRO-TV’s Instant News camera. We were transitioning from 16mm film to portable video cameras. The recorder was attached via a cable to the camera. The camera was made by Ikegami. I’m just guessing at the model number, HL-1…The HL part is accurate and stood for Handy Looky!
source: Duane Smart
KGCL shared the frequency with KPCB. KPCB became KIRO.
KGCL eventually became KPQ, moving to Wenatchee. KGCL had been operated by the Taft family. They were involved in operation of KRKO and purchased KFOA after KPQ moved to Wenatchee. KFOA call letters were changed to KOL.
KGBS became: KVL, KEEN, KEVR, KING